Wednesday, July 27, 2011

When do I get recess?

I have been doing a little freelancing here and there and in doing so, I am actually increasing my skill set. I would love to do some changes to my "real" job's web but I seem to be too busy to get around to it. So my side jobs get some of my best work. In a way that's kind of good and yet, it is not.

My work site will get the benefit of HTML5 first, I think, mainly because I know that site inside and out. I am a little excited about this HTML5shiv that makes everything backwards compatible making even IE6 less of a booger.

Then I plan to learn asp.net for web forms and stuff and may stick my toes into mySQL. I don't know about that, SQL kind of scares me. So I think I have much learning to do in the near future.

What really scares me, is that I created a database driven resource guide with more than 3,000 entries and need to move it from the antiquated Front Page Database Interface that require Front Page Extensions and I am not sure how or what program to convert that database to. I want to maintain the ease of accessing the database via the web and yet I am just clueless as to where to start on that. So I will procrastinate on that.

The problem I always have when I work from home is that I get too deep into my work and tonight's entry is prime example of me still thinking about code when I should be relaxing. If you have any ideas of which way to start, I would love some input.

Enough for now...

No comments: