Monday, September 27, 2010

Why Do Trees Grow

The problem with a large yard with trees is that they keep growing! Every year we have to trim what equals a whole tree. I don't know what one bush/tree is but it keeps growing bigger and bigger. It grows off shoots from the bottom, which means that it was getting wider and thicker. It got so big that it was growing into the house and blocking access to the large gate we put in so that Dad, A.K.A. the lawn guy, could get his riding lawn mower out to the front yard.

So I started trimming the side of the monster bush tree. Originally, mom and I started with trimming so that it would grow away from the house. Then we decided that we really like what it was looking like on that side and decided to do it all the way around. A hour later and much cut out, I ended up with this beauty that blooms weird little white flowers a couple times a year. I think I will keep it now.

Dad and I trimmed my Hackberry tree that keeps trying to grow into my Redbud tree. What's really amazing to me is that when you trim out quite a bit, everything still looks good but you really can't tell a major difference because so much is hidden by growing into each other.

The biggest problem of all is that I guess I am so old that now I when I get ambitious and work vigorously in my yard, I have to pay for it severely that night. I was so sore that I could barely walk. Pitiful, just pitiful.

I have decide that before we tackle this again next year, I am going to buy that miniature wood chipper we saw at Lowe's. Bundling tree branches is for the birds, give me power tools!

Enough for now...

No comments: