Tuesday, June 22, 2004

What's In a Name?

The Mongolians now have to come up with the once forbidden last name. See full article. I can't imagine not having or knowing my last name - it's my father's and my history; therefore, very special to me. But let's say for the past 80 years in America last names have been illegal and suddenly I am forced to chose, what would I choose? Would it be a name of someone famous in the past or something unique about me? That would be hard. I don't think I would take the last name of someone famous, even if I respected him or her, that would feel a little like stealing. Maybe, I'd take one of those names that describes your profession - Dana Lackey, Dana Dump-On? I truly don't know. I am glad, I have my name and don't have to choose to one - I fear I would have an identity crisis.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're right, that would be tough. However, I am liking your one job-related choice: Dana Dump-On. Has a nice ring to it! :)