Tuesday, August 09, 2011

************ My next password will be "1diotsmkmehaveastupidpswrd"

 Today, I had to enter my employee account services where my payroll stubs go and my leave accrual reports go, the important things that you need but only occasionally. So I go to log in with this arbitrary ID number that I can never remember. Then I have to enter a password that changes every 90 days so I have to write it down, mainly because I rarely go to the account services.

When I entered the password it immediately took me to the password expired page. How secure is a site that requires you to change your password so frequently that you can't remember it? I have a dedicated file on my laptop of all my passwords.

I find it odd that in trying to make everything super secure they create a compromising scenario where us users must store their passwords in something quite insecure.

Why is it that my ATM pin has not changed in since it was issued to me and I have it in my head securely. I truly think it is more about creating a false sense of job security than it is about computer security. Why is it that major corporations like Visa, Master Card and Discover allow you to create a password for your credit cards and let it be for how long ?.... EVER, for-freaking-ever! But at work I have to key in a new password every 90 days, because you know someone may hack into my computer and download a couple of press releases!

The future of the computer police.
Now, I just add the next numeral and keep the same password. Since I began my job almost five years ago, I have had to change my password 28 or 29 times. That is just plain stupidity and not secure at all. 

Pretty soon information technicians will be roaming the halls with AK47s and segways gunning for anyone with a password shorter that 48 characters including at least one upper case letter and three special characters. 

Enough for now...

No comments: