Sunday, March 06, 2011

When the cries slip up on you

Watching Les Miserables on OETA tonight I was totally floored by the flood of emotions it brought - actually I am shocked. I would think people who have not read the book would find the musical wonderful but for those like me who practically studied  the book, this is spell binding.

I loved the story Victor Hugo wrote with so many twist and turns and moral judgements and heartbreak. As I watch and listen to the musical, the book comes flooding back. 

I will confess this is probably the worse thing I could have watched at this time in my life. You hide things down deep and Hugo just pulls every thing up through his characters, everything from the struggle to make a living (Fantine), enduring the overly moral (Javert), to love those who don't return the love (Eponine), to redemption (Jean Valjean). Les Miserables captures the gamut of life.

The following song is about young Marius who was hurt at the barricades, but the opening line applies to all things in my life, "God on High, hear my prayer. In my need you've have always been there."



Enough for now...

No comments: