Sunday, April 11, 2004

My parents live on a half acre piece of land with their house sitting at the back making a very large front yard. We have been teaching Seamus to stay in the front yard but allow him to run free like the big dog he thinks he is. That was the best thing we have ever done! Yesterday, I get over there and go to let him out of the back to run a little as I get the mail. He's barking his mean bark and I just think that he didn't recognize me or my car at first and hasn't settled. So I am talking to him, "Don't you recognize me?" and I open the gate. He tears off toward the far side of the yard in a dead run. All of a sudden three big black dogs run out from under a pecan tree. Terrified, I began screaming at him, knowing that the pack is going to turn and fight. Fearless Seamus chases them and telling them off in his most fierce voice. The pack goes out the yard and Seamus stops right at the edge of the yard right where we taught him. Shaking, I get his attention and he comes running back to me - happy and spastic as if to say "Did you see what I did? I am the big dog!" Had those dogs turned to fight, I can say without a doubt, he'd be dead today. When I got him in the house - I about cried. Why is that when all is okay, you break down?!

No comments: